Quote of the Day

"Oh don't be so stupid of course we intend to resist, just give us a moment!"

~Disney's The Three Musketeers


Monday, June 23, 2008

My Most Memorable Majestically Magical Massive Moab Trip!

The girls under Delicate Arch

This weekend I made a journey down to the wonderful and magical place known as Moab, UT with two of my oldest friends, Carly and Kendall Smith. Joining us were 200 other random people from the BYU/Provo area. Needless to say, this trip was a BLAST!!! So full of activity, that any minute we weren't doing something, we were crashed. :) I'm home now with a burned back, aching limbs, and some awesome memories! Let me explain the whole trip in greater detail....

We arrived in Moab Thursday night around midnight, and followed a couple other cars into the canyon to try and find our campsite. After an hour of searching (and some serious offroading in our Altima...) we turned around, only to run into the rest of our group, who had just discovered they'd been kicked out of their campsite by campsite-poachers. So, we all pulled off to the side of the road and made an impromptu camp. Car, Kendall and I decided to sleep in the car, with the ingenious idea to put the backseat down and stick our feet into the trunk. We also thought it would be warm enough to not use our sleeping bags. Well... we were wrong. We FROZE. But hey, it was an adventure!

We woke up Friday morning and headed out on our river rafting trip! Needless to say, rafting the Colorado River was AMAZING! We had our own pirate Jolly Roger flag, the most awesome guide ever (Captain D-train! AKA Derrek), and had great times bombarding other rafts, taking on the rapids, chucking each other in the river, and having dunk fights as we floated along. My glasses and bandanna were sacrificed to the river, but it was definitely worth it!

We then headed to the public pool to use the showers (definitely worth $3!) and then ate a quick supper at Zak's pizza (tasty! Best crust!). We then headed to Arches to hike the world famous Delicate Arch (its still as pretty as ever!)
Me at Delicate Arch

MMTers at Delicate Arch


Well, that night, after being persuaded, we decided to grab a hotel room, in order to get some sleep and avoid the mosquitoes (neither of which would have happened had we camped with the other 200 people!). So we searched and searched and finally came across the only hotel room still available in Moab on a Friday night. So, we crammed 8 people into the room (which cut down on the cost for sure!) and finally got some rest. :)

At our Hotel

Well, once we woke up the next morning, we headed to Sand Hill. We jumped and jumped and ran and climbed, and basically got a great workout and had a blast. We then headed to Ken's Lake. Kendall, Carly and I decided to swim the lake (about 3/4 mile across) and the troopers Brett and Brent decided to join us. That was a great workout too! After our long swim to the other end of the lake and back, we crashed on the air mattresses.

Jumping at Sand Hill


Our group at the top of Sand Hill

Resting at Ken's Lake after our swim

Our final hiking activity was up Left Hand canyon where we engaged in the wonderful pastime of cliff jumping! It was amazing! I was honestly quite freaked out... but I still did it. :) One of my favorite activities of the trip.

Cliff jumping in Left Hand Canyon


My turquoise ring souvenir!


Finally, we headed to the park where we were grilled up some of the best steak I've ever had with charred vegetable kabobs. We engaged in games of scum, eating, laughing, and finally saying goodbyes. MMT 2008 was over.

This was seriously one of the funnest trips I've ever gone on. I made lots of friends, got lots of sun and exercise and basically had a blast. Can't wait till next year! Happy Moob!!

4 comments:

Bryn said...

That looks like it was a great trip, live it up because once your married with kids that stuff doesn't happen anymore, not that I'm complaining. I love that cliff jumping picture.
p.s. I'm still going to post the picture tag I just haven't had a chance quite yet.
p.p.s. I am loving The Host. Thanks!!!

Kendall said...

HAPPY MOOB!!! Ha, I'm so glad you blogged! I'm tagging yours, btw. I love you my fellow Moabite!

Sheesh said...

I am so glad that you found me!! IT looks like you are having way too much fun! Love you and tell the Fam hi! This is a great way to keep in touch!

Hansen Family said...

abbie this looks like alot of fun! oh and bryan designed my blog layout ( he is a bit of a computer nerd). love ya jeni