Quote of the Day

"Oh don't be so stupid of course we intend to resist, just give us a moment!"

~Disney's The Three Musketeers


Monday, August 3, 2009

It's all about BOOKS!

So, a friend of mine sent me this on Facebook. I thought it was a fun little thing, so I decided to blog it. :)

1) What author do you own the most books by?
- David Eddings. Bar none. :) He's written like 24 books and I think I own 20 of them. He's great!!

2) What book do you own the most copies of?
-None. I'm not a fan of double copies.

3) Did it bother you that both those questions ended with prepositions?
-Um... no

4) What fictional character are you secretly in love with?
-Haha, Diana Loose and I used to have a list - remember Di? I think it included Numair Salmalin and George Cooper from Tamora Pierce's novels, Edward of course, Luthe from The Hero's Crown, our own made up fictional characters, Corlath from The Blue Sword, Mr. Darcy of course, Mr. Knightly as well of course, and others I think. Haha, good times being young. :)

5) What book have you read the most times in your life (excluding picture books read to children; i.e., Goodnight Moon does not count)?
-Um.... that'd be a toss up between the Harry Potter series, David Edding's series, The Work and the Glory series, and Robin McKinley's novels. Wow....

6) What was your favorite book when you were ten years old?
-I think that was about the age I was hooked on "The Man Who Loved Clowns". It was about a young girl who had an uncle with Downs Syndrome. Really good book. Ah, now I want to read it again!

7) What is the worst book you've read in the past year?
- Wow.... I don't even know. Probably something for school. :)

9) If you could force everyone you tagged to read one book, what would it be?
- The Agony and the Ecstasy. Hands down. Irving Stone is an incredible author, you learn so much and you're absolutely enthralled the entire time. Go read it!!!

10) Who deserves to win the next Nobel Prize for Literature?
- No idea...

11) What book would you most like to see made into a movie?
- Probably a Robin McKinley book. Oh yes, that'd be good.

12) What book would you least like to see made into a movie?
- Maybe a Robin McKinely book. Haha, they'd probably butcher it. :)

13) Describe your weirdest dream involving a writer, book, or literary character.
- I have the weirdest dreams all the time. I couldn't even pick one.

14) What is the most lowbrow book you've read as an adult?
- Like, beneath my reading level? Crappy books? Dirty books? What is this? I always read stuff below my reading level, its fun. :) And I don't read dirty books. Weird question...

15) What is the most difficult book you've ever read?
- Well, seeing as how I have yet to make it through it, Anna Karenina. I LOVE IT! I'm just having a hard time finishing it. Is that a contradiction? :)

16) What is the most obscure Shakespeare play you've seen?
- I don't think I have seen an obscure one.

17) Do you prefer the French or the Russians?
- As writers? Russians. :) I like their depressing, life changing literature :)

18) Roth or Updike?
- Never read Updike, but I like Roth. I even did a whole term paper on a short story of his. :)

19) David Sedaris or Dave Eggers?
- .... no idea

20) Shakespeare, Milton, or Chaucer?
- Shakespeare! Love love love Shakespeare. Milton is okay, as is Chaucer, but Shakespeare is brilliant.

21) Austen or Eliot?
- Austen, such an incredible writer.

22) What is the biggest or most embarrassing gap in your reading?
- Like what I haven't read? I had a teacher tell me one time it was a terrible thing that I'd never read Huckleberry Finn. I gave it a try and gave up in the first few chapters. Boring!!

23) What is your favourite novel?
- There is no way I could possibly choose. Some top choices would be... Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice, Anna Karenina (I know, I haven't finished it, but its still at the top!), Beauty, The Agony and the Ecstasy...

25) Poem?
-"The Fist" by Derek Walcott

26) Essay?
-No idea...

27) Short story?
- Ooo... either The Cask of Amantialdo by Poe, The Most Dangerous Game, The Fox by Lawrence, and honestly I kinda like The Metamorphosis by Kafka. Creepy, I know. But there's so much to analyze
:)
28) Work of nonfiction?
- I really liked the biography of Marie Antoinette by Antonia Fraser. I don't read much nonfiction though...

29) Who is your favorite writer?
- There is absolutely no way I could decide. David Eddings, Tamora Pierce, Robin McKinley, Jane Austen, Emily Bronte, C.S. Lewis, JRR Tolkein, Irving Stone, Dan Brown, .... so many...

30) Who is the most overrated writer alive today?
- I honestly think John Grisham or maybe Steven King. Never really liked either one...

31) What is your desert island book?
- That I would want with me there? The Agony and the Ecstasy :)

32) And... what are you reading right now?
- The Wishsong of Shannara by Terry Brooks. Teece has me reading them, and I rather like them. :)

Love you all!! (And notice... I did in some way include Teece in this post as well! :) )

3 comments:

Jenna said...

i love this! you've given me all sorts of new books to look into. YES! thanks abbie!

Diana said...

All good thoughts! You gave me a few new suggestions! I have yet to brave Anna Karenina but I want to! Also, John Grisham is WAY overrated! Good call! Also also The Russians are infinitesimally better than the French! Proust is ok... but give me Crime and Punishment ANY day, the mind of an axe murderer is enthralling!

Gardner Clan said...

Um..sad to say that I could never do this kind of blog post because I so didn't get the reading gene in the family. I get my scriptures in and try to do the ensign too and thats about the limit for me! Sad, I know! You are a doll and I love ya!