Quote of the Day

"Oh don't be so stupid of course we intend to resist, just give us a moment!"

~Disney's The Three Musketeers


Thursday, September 24, 2009

A really big THANK YOU

Okay, I love college. It's a truly wonderful place to be. But you do feel quite insignificant - most of the time. Especially at BYU. Professors just aren't usually that "buddy-buddy" with you, and for good reason. They have thousands of kids come through their classes throughout the years, are absorbed in research, and a thousand other different things. I know they have a lot on their plates.

That's why I really appreciated what happened to me today. My British Lit professor (Dr, Walker) had us come to his office for ten minutes so we could discuss the papers we just turned in. I was fully expecting a "Do this better, maybe this, you got a B, have a great day" kind of thing. But Professor Walker was different - he reminded me of my high school teachers. And that's the greatest compliment I can give him, for my high school teachers shaped my life in profound ways.

After grading my paper, and asking me what I thought I'd done well and needed to work on, he went on to say what he thought I did spectacular on, and then agreed with me on what would possibly make it better and expounded a bit. He was genuinely interested in what I had to say and what my paper had to say. He said he appreciated all my comments in class, that I was very relevant and had great attention to detail. He asked what I was planning on doing for a career, and when I told him I wanted to be a teacher he was enthusiastic in his support. "That just fits for you Abbie" he said. He said that if I did for my students what I'm doing for our class now, I'd be a great teacher. Then he said if there was anything he could do to help me along my path - advice, knowledge, letters of recommendation - he'd be happy to help in any way he could. Mind you, this man has known me for about 3 weeks.

Now, I don't say all this to brag about myself - far from in in fact, because I know how much better I can be. I say this to show what an incredible man and teacher Professor Walker is. This may be harsh, but not many professors are good teachers - they're good researchers. I've never had a professor show this kind of support and interest in my before, and I'm sure not many students have. . It's the kind of thing you only see in high school, where the teacher has more time to get to know their students. Professor Walker takes that time, and will do anything to help the students that he so dearly loves.

This man has affected me in such a strong way. I've noticed how much more difficult it is to get motivated with college - there's no personal interest in you, unless you're a Monson Scholar or some such. I hadn't noticed the lack of it in my life until this interview with Professor Walker. He's made me feel that I can be great again, that I'm being watched, appreciated, and encouraged to go to greater efforts. I've been rejuvenated about my school experience - and I can't wait to prove my worth. Thank you Professor Walker - you've had such an impact on this young college lady's life.

I also want to say how much Teece has helped me. My man is a full academic scholarship holder at UVU - and he takes that very seriously. He's committed, smart, and disciplined. He's helped me want to become a better student again - as well as a better person. I'm so lucky to have him. :)

I'm so grateful for the people who influence my life. Just one experience can make a world of difference. So thank you all for what you do. :)

LOVE YOU ALL!!

No comments: