Quote of the Day

"Oh don't be so stupid of course we intend to resist, just give us a moment!"

~Disney's The Three Musketeers


Thursday, January 22, 2009

Learning my lesson...

Down at SUU, I took an Critical Theory class. This class was one of the reasons that I changed my major and transfered up to BYU. Bad experiences came from this class ranging from discussions possibly inappropriate to a health class, to viewing what I believed to be soft pornography (and applying critical theory to it), to being surrounded by femininsts and gender-identity confused/open people voicing their overly loud and biased opinions. At the end of the semester, I threw out all of my notes and saved only a handful of essays from the class. I wanted it out of my memory...

Fast forward two more years - I am now at BYU. I just added an English Teaching minor onto my major and as such I need to take a Literary Interpretation class. I'm taking it this semester and so far I'm really enjoying it! We're learning a lot of the same stuff as in my Critical Theory class, but without all the nastiness. I've discovered I actually like theory! - when its given to me in the right view from a professor who isn't trying to squash me with liberalism and "opening my mind" so I'm not trapped into small-town thinking.

I've run into a problem though - I'm relearning all the same theories I already learned down at SUU... but I didn't save any of my notes! How could I be so stupid?! This class would be so much easier if I had my old notes to refer to and make comparisons with what I'm learning now. Instead, because of my stupidity and stubbornness, I have only scant essays I wrote (usally with a fairly sarcasitc tone to them since I despised my professor) with which I'm trying to piece together what I learned that semester. Boo. Abbie is a dunce.

So, lesson learned - SAVE MY NOTES! (Except for Statistics - those were burned. :) ) Save my books, save my notes. I'm going to be teaching this stuff one day and it would help if I could remember what I've learned.

Rant over. The End.

2 comments:

Marianne said...

Does this mean Dee will shoot me someday when he needs his notes from 1987 and discovers that I have tossed them out?!!! (recycled like a good citizen)

Nah, he's taught for so long he could write the text book!

I had a "Marriage & Family" class at Mesa Community College my first semester out of high school. I was stunned by the liberalism even WAAAAY back then! I had a pornographic text too! I was so upset I skipped the test on that chapter and got a lower grade in the class. Oh well, I enjoyed throwing the book in the trash!

Congrats on your stars, by the way!!

Kevin said...

wow sounds like suu is more liberal than the U and more outspoken. ;)