Quote of the Day

"Oh don't be so stupid of course we intend to resist, just give us a moment!"

~Disney's The Three Musketeers


Monday, January 26, 2009

Stupidity in College

So, I have this peeve. And this peeve often occurs in a college setting - much to my annoyance. Here's the situation:
Professor: "As stated on the syllabus, there will be a test this Friday. It will be an essay test."

Instantly millions of hands shoot into the air, all for stupid questions. And invariably, this question will ALWAYS come up.

Idiotic Student: Do we need to know the stuff in the books and our notes or will this be open book?
... Excuse me?? Open book. In a college class. Are you an idiot?? How did you even get INTO college asking questions like that?

I do have to be fair, in some classes it makes sense. Religion for example. There are enough instances of professors allowing you to use your scriptures that it is somewhat allowable for you to ask if an exam will be open book. Still, the professor will 99.9% of the time tell you this. Or he'll have stated it previously in the syllabus (which I swear nobody reads!!)

But in the majority of college courses? Especially upper levels? COME ON PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!! We are here to learn; not only to learn, but to learn for a career. That means you need to know this stuff. Not just for the test - but for LIFE. There is no cheat sheet in life. You need to know it!!!

AH! This was happening to me today and so I was venting to my sister Katie through texts. She said the same thing happens in hair school. Honestly?? Can you imagine that, you go to a hairdresser and ask for a bob and they say, "Sure, hold on while I look it up in my book so I know what it is and how to do it." I'd be running from that salon.

So, because of our annoyance with this, Katie and I have decided to make t-shirts. I fully intend to wear it around campus.


Maybe this will get the message across? Or maybe people will just raise their hands and stare at me in confusion before saying, "I don't get it... are you trying to make a statement?"

College idiots.

5 comments:

Amy Keita said...

ugh...i totally agree. & i see a whole other side to this as well: being a TA, students are SO whinny it drives me crazy, it makes it so it's hard not to have favorites in classes. I love the students that come in for help & actively seek & study the material to learn it not just get an A, even the ones that just want an A but don't whine about it are better than the ones that complain about every little thing/point. Oh well that's my job right? anyways sign me up for a shirt :)

Kevin said...

actually my friend took a family consumer stats class and it was all open book and notes. i bet you wished your stats class was like that huh?! :)

Tiona said...

I so want that t-shirt! My university is very...how do I put this nicely...high schooly. Very difficult after coming from the U.

Katherine Elizabeth said...

Try being the one in hair school. These girls are there because they can't even SPELL cosmotology....did I spell that right? :)

Hansen Family said...

ok abbie that was funny! If i were a college profesor i would let you take open book tests!