Quote of the Day

"Oh don't be so stupid of course we intend to resist, just give us a moment!"

~Disney's The Three Musketeers


Sunday, March 29, 2009

Special Request

My friends, I have a request of all of you. I'm sure you're all very polite at restaurants and are just as friendly as the person who is serving you. But if you would pass this on where you can, that would be great.

-Please acknowledge your server as being there. Please look at them when you are talking to them, not at someone across the table. This is very rude and demeaning. You're server is there to help you. Without them, you don't get food.

-Please do not treat them as your servant. There is a huge difference between "server" and "servant" and they are definately not the latter. They are there to help you, but not to be looked down on, talked rudely to, or degraded in any way.

-Server's are not always high school drop outs. Please do not treat them as if they are stupid.

-Please forgive. Everyone makes mistakes, even you. Please cut your server some slack, especially if you can see that they are busy.

-Please just be kind. If you are kind and friendly to your server, they will be genuinely kind and friendly back, even more than the fake "happy" personna they must always have. Happy attitudes are returned with happy, efficient service.

-I do realize that there are some servers who are complete incompetants or are just plain rude. But they truly are the exception. We're human beings too, please be polite.

Yours Truly,

A worn-out server

4 comments:

Marianne said...

Oh Abbie, I am sorry you have to put up with such awful behavior. Dee and I alwyas try to be gracious and grateful to our servers. Britt is the best! Her roommate was a server and she really learned a lot from her about the way a lot of people are.

I always think of the Saviour and how he would treat someone who was serving Him!

Bryn said...

Been there, done that! I understand completely.
I am always nice, just because I'm afraid if I'm not they might spit in my food. I know what goes on in the back.
Once my fellow serving friend plotted to spill an entire Coke on a rude costumer, she did it, and made it all look like an accident. (Just an idea) just kidding, don't really do that.

Ben and Janelle said...

Well said. I believe everyone at some time in their life should be a server (or at least work in a restaurant) so they know what it's like and how it goes. My biggest annoyance is when they get mad at and blame the server for something that is not the sever's fault!

Gardner Clan said...

AMEN! Servers unite! Haha! I served for many years..7 or 8..and loved every bit, but it got frustrating at times. Grr! You are awesome! Love ya!