Quote of the Day

"Oh don't be so stupid of course we intend to resist, just give us a moment!"

~Disney's The Three Musketeers


Wednesday, August 13, 2008

So... Have you seen this show??



So, I'm wondering if any of you have seen The Secret Life of the American Teenager on AbcFamily? I don't know how popular it is (the commercial's say it's "the breakout hit of the summer!" - but who ever trusts commercials?), but I thought I would blog about my thoughts of it. I've been watching it (online, since I work Tuesday nights when it's on), and I have a few opinions...
If you didn't know, The Secret Life of the American Teenager is about 15 year old Amy Jerkins who gets pregnant at band camp, and how she and all those around her are dealing with the situation. Basically, I'm of the opinion that this whole town is one big soap opera. Everyone's parents have some sort of "connection" (through either ex-marriages or affairs) and that only lends more drama to what their kids are getting up to.

Here's basically how it plays out: Amy goes to band camp and gets pregnant by Ricky. Ricky is dating Adrienne, who is also sleeping with Jack, Grace Bowman's boyfriend. Grace Bowman is the Christian beauty of the school, who this boy named Ben has an initial crush on, before falling madly "in love" with Amy, asking her to marry him by episode 4.

As if that drama isn't enough, here's the sitch for the parents: Amy's father's ex-wife is Grace Bowman's stepmother. Amy's father also happens to be having an affair with Adrienne's mother. Amy's mother also got pregnant at a young age (with Amy) and married Amy's father to cover up the early pregnancy (from another man)!

Whew! If you kept up with all that, you're brilliant. It's taken me weeks. This whole story is a mixed up mess of drama, sleeping around, and some really bad acting (seriously, Ben is an awful actor!!).

I'm really just wondering what kind of mesage this show is giving young high school kids. Theoretically, its trying to send the message that parents should have the "sex talk" with kids soon, not after they are already pregnant. But I'm just worried that this show is telling kids, "Hey! These kids are all having sex, you should too! Just make sure you don't get pregnant." I mean, seriously! Kids shouldn't be having sex this young at all! They're all 15 in this show! Freshman! In Utah, they're still in Jr. High. Is this show really a good thing? It comes with a warning before it, yet it shows up on a Family TV chanel, and is somewhat geared towards kids. Is it really sending a good message?

These are just my thoughts being blurbed out on the page, does anyone else have a though? Seen the show? Comment, let me know!

3 comments:

Amy Keita said...

So I have watched this show & it's the dumbest show ever. the story line is basically the same as one tree hill (everyone sleep w/ everyone) = lame. the acting is horrible (not just ben or whatever his name is), most if not all of the characters are ugly, & above all the message is awful. I guess this is what you call low quality summer tv.

ps. I know i'm horrible at blogging, maybe one day i'll actually get into it :)

Sami Dara said...

hahaha! "(everyone sleep w/ everyone) = lame."

but yeah sounds lame. the title makes it sound like every american teenager has a life like this.

the one time in life we can play God and create a life and so many people abuse it and show it on tv like it's some kind of recreation. sad really... its a lot more than that. it's definitely worth the wait.

MeganRuth said...

i have seen it and i agree. i hate how at the end the girl comes on and says talk to your kids about sex... they are just saying... if your having sex make it safe sex..boo!!!!