Quote of the Day

"Oh don't be so stupid of course we intend to resist, just give us a moment!"

~Disney's The Three Musketeers


Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Why I love my school...

Okay, I love my school. Truly truly I do. Even though sometimes I get a "bit" annoyed by people constantly bringing church topics into school settings (like say, using the Book of Mormon as a source for discussion in a History writing class), I truly am so grateful to be here at this wonderful institution.

Case in point: my American Christianity class today. Ah, I LOVE this class. I took it on a whim, but it's possibly the best whim-decision I have ever made. My professor is Professor Fluhman. He's absolutely hilarious and so knowledgeable about the Gospel and Christianity in general. I've learned so much from him already, and I know I understand other Christian religions much better. Today, we were finishing up Calvinism and such, and he was showing us a few verses in D&C 20 (30-32) that use words common to Protestants, especially Methodists and such (remember how Joseph Smith almost allied himself with the Methodists?) when we got into a little "sermon" discussion...

I'm not sure how we got on the subject, but he started talking to us about whether or not LDS people believe they are saved; how if we're asked by other Christians if we've been "saved" we get a little leery and go, "Ah, well... yes, but I still have to work towards it". He said, that whenever he is asked this question, he immediately answers yes. And then he explained why.

We do believe we are saved - that's what the Atonement is all about! Christ saves us - we do NOT save ourselves. But by allying ourselves with Christ, we work together with him to be better, to become perfect. But it is through NO merit of our own that we are saved. (See D&C 45: 3-5). He said oftentimes LDS people get too caught up in what we ourselves must do in order to earn salvation; that every time we "screw up" and sin, its just another reason why God shouldn't let us into his kingdom. But this isn't what our own revelations say to us! That was his stressing point: That the revelations given to us say NOTHING about us earning our own way to salvation. It is only through Christ. Christ makes up the difference that we all lack. In his opinion, there is no such thing as too much faith and belief and stress in Christ in the LDS church. Often there is not enough.

Now, he made sure to tell us that none of what I have written above is the official church lessson (as in, he wasn't told to come teach this to us) but it was his beliefs. What he has read himself in our revelations, and that we were free to disagree if we chose. I was amazed by him, because I completely agree! All of what he said is completely in agreement with what I've been taught my whole life by my parents. It is also exactly the same stuff that is taught in Believing Christ (AMAZING book. Definitely choose to read it!). And it is also what is taught to us in Mosiah (King Benjamin), in the Doctrine and Covenants, and in our modern revelations.

I know I blabbered on about that for a long time, but that whole experience above is why I am at this wonderful school. To be able to be taught in both the gospel, as well as my intended field of study all in one day at one institution is a true blessing. For that, I can put up with the little quirks that so annoy me here. :)

2 comments:

Ben and Janelle said...

Your teacher sounds like a wise man. I really enjoyed reading about his take on being saved and that we can only make it back to our Heavenly Father through Christ and not by what WE do.

Gardner Clan said...

I LOVE YOU, girl! You are amazing and I am so lucky to have you as my niece! Hooray for people who can put it in terms that people like me can understand. I love this gospel!