So, I have these thoughts. And they happen EVERY semester, right around midterms. Some of these thoughts include:
Do I really want to be a teacher? - Am I in the right major? - Should I be doing something else with my life? - Am I being social enough? - Is it bad that I'm not dating anyone right now? - Am I being the best I can be? - Etc, etc, etc.
I've had these thoughts (or ones similar to them) since my first year of college. This semester I was really surprised to have them come on, because I'm honestly really happy with my life. Yes, I miss my family; and no, I don't have a boyfriend, and I do work a lot, but I really have been so happy. So it was really weird that I was thinking these things. I start to contemplate changing majors, quitting school, getting a new job, going on a mission, moving home, all sorts of things. I struggled with these for a few days (as did my friend Kevin, which I just found out), but its slowly been getting better.
And then today in my History 200 class (which is the class that my professor hates me in! Though she's been nicer latey!) I had an epiphany of sorts. We were learning about teaching history and what kinds of things we should be doing as a teacher in order to help our students learn. As I was participating in the discussion, I realized that I really do want to teach. I want to help my students learn from history, and learn to love it, and connect with it.
This epiphany really made me happy. It's helped me get back on the positive path. I still don't have a boyfriend, and I still don't have lots of time to play and hang out, but I'm happy again. I have a great job, great friends, great classes, an exciting prospective career, my missionaries are starting to come home, my mom is my best friend, Dani Emmy is getting married, my roommates are all awesome, I'm healthy, I have enough money to live on, and I basically have a good life. I'm so blessed!!
So long semesterly thoughts. Hopefully we won't meet up again next semester. :)
Our Baby.... Leto
15 years ago

3 comments:
and you're going to BE an amazing teacher!!
...and not just because you can pronounce everything correctly. ;)
im really glad that i read your blog... i have had these same thoughts... it must just be a midterm thing... then i took a break this weekend and had one of those epiphany things, and as i read this another one... sometimes satan tries to trick us, at least i think so... geez the nerve. :)
I have gone through that same process several times. I know how you feel.
Post a Comment